“I am working towards every single aspect of my potential, even if I have yet to discover it. I am working towards the highest limit.” –Diquonte’ Thomas, E3 Participant
Career Readiness Through Engagement
Each summer since 2014, PPSJ has facilitated Jackson’s Summer Internship Initiative, E3: “Engage, Enlighten, Employ.” Open to students aged 16-19 in the Jackson Public School district, E3 develops college- and career-readiness, and teaches them necessary skills including leadership, communication, collaboration, and problem-solving through classroom instruction and on-the-job work experience during the 34-day program.
Real World Support Through Learning and Practice
The E3 Internship Program:
- Provides an engaging internship experience in a student’s chosen career interests where participants can learn and observe employability and technical skills.
- Guides participants in the development of a capstone project that is two-fold: development of a personal opportunity plan and the delivery of a three-minute presentation for the final program activity, which is designed to highlight enhancements in a student’s academic skills, technical skills and employability.
- Provides information regarding health and wellness as it relates to students in underserved communities and steps that students can access for their personal well-being.
E3 By the Numbers
- In the summer of 2016 alone, 63 JPS students completed the program
- More than 55 local businesses and nonprofits work with E3 by providing on-the-job experience for E3 interns.
- With continued support from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, an additional 55 students will go through the E3 Internship program